1. Who is eligible for Meals on Wheels?
The Meals on Wheels service is available for those who:
- Are 65 years of age or over and find it challenging to prepare meals.
- Are disabled and have difficulty preparing their own meals.
- Are not preparing adequate meals because they are ill, recovering from surgery or an injury, or dealing with mental health issues.
2. How much does it cost?
Privately paying clients are charged a fee of $6.50 per meal. Clients are invoiced at the end of the month for the number of meals they have received in that month. Payment can be made by Cash, Cheque, Visa, or Mastercard.
3. Do you need a professional referral to receive meal delivery service ?
No, a professional referral is not necessary. However, many clients are referred by a support agency such as the Department of Social Development, The Department of Veterans Affairs, Extra Mural Program, Saint Mary’s Health Centre, and the Victorian Order of Nurses. As such, the cost of their meals may be subsidized by the referring agency.
Other clients may be referred by a family member or may contact us themselves to arrange for meal delivery.
4. What subsidies are available ?
You may qualify for a subsidy through one of the following:
a) The Dept. of Social Development.
To find out if you qualify, call their toll free number 1-866-444-8838.
b) Department of Veterans Affairs
If you are a Veteran, you may qualify for a subsidy from Veterans Affairs.
Call them at 1-866-522-2122.
c) Extra Mural
If you are a patient of the Extra Mural Program, ask your visiting nurse or call 452-5800.
d) St. Mary’s Health Centre
If you are a resident of St. Mary’s First Nation, call 452-2750.
5. When are the meals delivered ?
Meals are delivered during the noon hour between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., seven days a week.
6. Who delivers the meals ?
Community-minded, caring volunteers who have been screened by the Police and the Department of Social Development.
7. Who prepares the food ?
Meals are prepared at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital and York Manor Nursing Home.
8. Can special diets be accommodated ?
We can provide meals to allow for most special dietary requirements such as diabetes, low sodium or cholesterol, low residue, high iron, and various allergies.
Although the daily menus are selected on a three-week rotation, changes can be made.
9. What is included in the meal ?
You will be given a 3 week rotating menu from which to make your food choices.
Each meal includes:
- An appetizer (soup or salad),
- A main course (eg. meat, fish, casserole, potatoes, and vegetables),
- A roll, bread, or biscuit.
10. Are the meals delivered hot, cold, or frozen ?
Your meal will be individually packaged in disposable containers and then transported in insulated bags to ensure that hot selections remain hot and other items are at the desired temperature.
11. What are the benefits of receiving Meals on Wheels ?
- Improved Health; Good nutrition is a key to good health.
- Independence; You can’t live alone if you don’t stay healthy.
- Food Safety; Meals are freshly prepared and delivered daily.
- Social Support; A friendly smile comes with the meal each day.
- Peace of mind for yourself and your family; A volunteer checks on each client regularly.
12. What locations do you serve ?
We deliver meals within the City of Fredericton and to the Village of New Maryland.
13. Can I sign up to receive temporary service ?
Yes. The service is offered seven days a week every day of the year. You can receive meals for a day, a week, a month, or indefinitely. You may also choose any combination of days that is convenient for you.
14. How do I get started receiving meals ?
Call us at 458-9482. We will discuss any necessary administrative details with you and in most cases, we should be able to start delivering meals to you within 1 to 2 days.
15. Is it possible to provide a few meals for a friend or relative or as a gift for birthday or holidays without them having to formally register as a client ?
We have Gift Certificates that you can purchase for situations such as this. Call us at 458-9482 to discuss arrangements.
16. How can I become a volunteer?
Call us at 458-9482 or send an email to email@example.com We will be pleased to talk with you about the volunteer opportunities available.
17. How is your organization funded ?
We are a not-for-profit organization and the majority of our income is generated from the meals we deliver.
As a member agency of the United Way, we receive some of our funding through their grant and donor options programs.
As a not -for-profit organization we must continue to be actively fund-raising. Through our fund-raising efforts we reach out to individuals, groups, businesses, and foundations for financial, material and in-kind support for our programs.
We would appreciate your support. If you would like to give us a donation, you can do so by Visa, MasterCard, cheque, cash or via our on-line donation link.